Sunday 23 January 2011

Moving to Kent


I moved here to Kent in 2007, living in a place called Kings Hill first. Kings Hill is a new housing area built on an old airfield so it's very flat. It had everything I needed and I was in a really smart new flat, but I couldn't settle there, it felt very unreal and plastic.

I looked around for somewhere to buy and found this lovely cottage on the market, it had a really good feel to it, but had several down points. It was on a very busy main road with a narrow drive and was dangerous manouvering off the noisy road. Also the windows are quite small so not as light as I wanted.

I bought it and decided to widen the drive and put some safe gates on to protect the grandchildren when they play in the garden.

The kitchen was also very small with a separate toilet outside; I decided to knock down the outhouse and extend the kitchen. I had to take out a second mortgage to do that!

I moved in at the August Bank Holiday weekend, what a job that was! Some of my belongings came from my home in the north west, some from friends houses, some from Kings Hill and some from Holly's. I thought I would never get straight ever again. Add to that I had been in Turkey the whole of August so I was ill prepared. Also I had to get rid of a lot of items when I moved originally, and then had to start buying all over again, nightmare.

I started my new job the following week so it was quite some time before my feet hit the ground. Ended up with a migraine on the second day of my new job too.

2 comments:

  1. Hello and welcome to blogland! Your house looks beautiful with the sun shining on the brickwork. I am a sucker for old houses and in particular the craftsmanship in their construction. Have fun writing your blog,. I'm looking forward to the next instalment! Take care x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old couple who lived here before me had been there for many years. He was a woodcutter and he brought home logs for the wood burning stove. It had no central heating and no bathroom. When they had died the grandson who was a builder renovated the house and put in a bathroom on the first floor by converting part of the second bedroom. The attic has always been a room and has proper staircase and a proper window. Sadly the wood burner was removed during the renovation.

    ReplyDelete